Friday, October 29, 2010

Gratitude

If I were the young mother
pushing the Mercedes-Benz of strollers,
calmly but with fiercely
controlled breaths discussing with my mother
via cell phone as I walked--my only
exercise, my only sanity--why Darren
and I really could afford what she described
as a crushing mortgage,
I’m sure I would have stopped
talking, walking, mouth open with a word
half in, half out, staring;
but would I have said, “Mom, I’ll
call you right back”; would I have hung
up and pressed my suddenly trembling
fingertip, with its shamedly-bitten nail,
to the numbers of the phone in order:
nine, one, one?
Would I have said, in answer to the businesslike
“What is the nature of your emergency?”
“There’s a woman screaming
out the window of an old orange
Chevy truck: ‘Help me,
please help me, please
call the police,’ so I did”?
Nevermind Mom, Darren, or Godforbidthebaby,
asleep in the shock-absorbed stroller:
there was a woman, and she
was wearing a pink cashmere sweater, and she
was screaming. Would I have?
Doesn’t matter. She did, and when the cops
came, I thanked her.

3 comments:

  1. glad you came by One Stop Poetry. really liked your input. Would love to talk to you - could you contact me? moondustwriter@gmail.com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super divine piece,
    your talent kills.
    wow.
    way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egad, girl! Where-O-where art thy followers?? Naughty-naughty. I'm a head injured dude who gottawanna PC... now, look-out, dollface --- GREETINGS, EARTHLING!! While I can only stay in this existence finite for a while (gotta run back to the Elysian Fields soon), take anything and everything you wanna from our wonderfull, plethora-of-thot to write the next, great masterpeace -if- I can but kiss your gorgeous, adorable feets and/or cohesively cuddle withe greatest, ex-mortal-girly-ever to arrive in Seventh Heaven!! Think about it. Do it! Get back with me Upstairs, k? God bless you, doll: pleasure-beyond-measure is waiting in the Great Beyond for you and eye. Love you proFUSEly, girl (the name of Lenin’s newspaper, the FUSE). Thus, if you can read-between-the-lines, the musical term MORENDO means ‘dying-away in tone-and-time’. How very apropos for U.S. …thewarningsecondcoming.com

    ReplyDelete